In Phoenix Metro Area
Windshield Replacement requires the right parts from windshield to type of bonding compound to molding. Installer’s technical knowledge and certification play a big part in an installation that is done right and in accordance with safety measures of the Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC).
The first thing a Windshield Replacement customer must verify is if the windshield company is a member of the Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC) and employs AGSC Certified Technicians, a none profit organization dedicated to the safe repair and replacement of auto glass with one primary goal: to ensure safe repair and replacement and adherence of windshield companies to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Read our blog article “Pick a Reputable Windshield Company”.
Unlike most of States, windshield replacement in Arizona is fully covered with $0 out of pocket even if you have a deductible as long as customer has added glass coverage to his or her policy. If a deductible is in place, then customer will be responsible for the deductible portion of the cost of replacement. Three states waive the deductible portion, Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina. While Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New York offer separate windshield coverage without deductible.
Windshield Repair vs. Replacement
Fixing or repairing a windshield are always less costly than windshield replacement. However, cracks and windshield chips are not always feasible. As a rule of thumb, if a crack is longer than 6 inches then the windshield must be replaced.
If a crack or chip is in the line of the driver’s sight, the windshield is deemed unsafe and must be replaced. Insurance companies are aware of this hazardous situation and they usually approve a claim when the rock chip or crack is impeding the diver’s vision.
Request Windshield Repair or Replacement Free Quote Today
Need assistance? We are here to help. Please Call
Windshield Replacement Process
- Prior to scheduling your job, we decode your vehicle VIN number to precisely identify the windshield part number and any other parts your windshield may require such as moldings, gaskets, clips etc.
- Order the windshield with all required parts.
- On the day of the installation whether at our shop or your place, we will evaluate your vehicle and the glass damage it sustained.
- Select the proper retention systems (bonding compound) based on the manufacturer recommendation.
- Keep you informed of the entire process of removing, replacing, and installing the new windshield.
- Notify you of any defects or anomalies we notice prior to removing the glass.
- Protect your vehicle interior and exterior with protective coverings.
- We then start the windshield removal process by removing the trim and glass. Special lubricant or water will be used to aid in the cutting of the old adhesive (urethane bonding compound).
- Remove all dirt, debris and excess cutout lubricant from the pinchweld’s bond area.
- The next step is applying the proper adhesive around the pinchweld ensuring continuity of bead.
- Prep the new windshield by cleaning it thoroughly with a special glass cleaner with special attention to the bonding area. It is vitally important that the bonding area surrounding the windshield is totally free from any contamination.
- After the special glass cleaner is completely dry about 10 minutes), we will install the new windshield using OEM-recommended adhesives (and primers if necessary) and in accordance with The Automotive Glass Replacement Safety Standard™ (AGRSS).
- Vacuum any broken glass out of your vehicle.
- Advise you of the “Safe Drive Away Time” which is the time allowed for the bonding compound to completely dry in order to safely drive your vehicle.
- Give you a windshield replacement lifetime warranty that covers parts and workmanship for as long as you own the vehicle.
Inspect the vehicle for pre-existing damage, fill out paperwork ans protect your vehicle interior and exterior with protective coverings.
Remove cowl, wipers, moldings and trim from the windshield.
Clean pinchweld from any debris, trim old urethane to 1/16 inch, dry set the windshield to ensure proper fitting.
Apply Primer & Adhesive
Apply pinchweld primer when necessary, thoroughly clean the new windshield with special glass cleaner especially in the bonding area around the windshield to ensure glass is free from any contamination. Apply windshield adhesive around the pinchweld.
Set windshield and ensure proper fitment. reset the trim molding. Replace cowl, wipers and any items previously removed.
Inspect and clean vehicle, Present owner with final paperwork and instructions. Advise owner of Safe-Drive-Away-Time in accordance with bonding compound used.
Cost of Windshield Replacement
How much does auto glass cost? you may ask; cost of windshield replacement vary and largely depends on the make, year and model of your car. It could range between $300 and $2000. The price of a new windshield will also depends on the ADAS safety features your windshield may have such as emergency braking, lane departure assist etc. Read more about ADAS Systems here ➦
Another factor that could impact the cost of the windshield is the type and quality of the windshield you request. Manly there are three types of windshields:
- OEM Windshield (Original Equipment Manufacturer).
- Dealer Windshield.
- Aftermarket Windshield.
For those with glass insurance coverage, requesting OEM or Dealer glass will depend largely on your insurance company as well as the age of your car. Insurance companies will usually approve OEM and Dealer glass if your vehicle no older than two years.
Insured vs. Uninsured:
Replacing a broken or cracked windshield is not cheap. Many folks have liability only or full coverage without adding the glass add-on coverage. In the State of Arizona, glass coverage is an optional choice. Folks with this glass coverage option added are fully covered and will not Incur any out of pocket expense for having their windshield replaced.
At Francis and Sons, we will handle your glass insurance claim from submitting your claim to getting you approved.
Drivers with liability only or do not have the glass coverage option added to their policy will have to pay out of pocket.
We offer very competitive prices for folks that have to pay for their windshield replacement. Fill out the free quote request form above or give us a call and we will have your total out of pocket cost in no time.
What Comes After Windshield Replacement
Observe the Safe-Drive-Away-Time:
Having installed a new windshield does not mean that you can drive off right away. It is unsafe to drive a car with a new windshield installed until the “safe-drive-away-time” has expired.
The safe-drive-away-time is the time required for the bonding compound (urethane adhesive) to fully set and cure. This time is determined by the type of urethane adhesive used. Different urethane manufacturers have different safe-drive-away-time and they usually range from 30 minutes to 3 hours.
At Francis and Sons, 99% of the time we use urethane made by SIKA USA with 30 minute safe-drive-away-time. Your windshield technician will advise you of the safe-drive-away-time.
You will be covered with a lifetime warranty for parts, material and workmanship for as long as you own the vehicle. Our warranty will also cover any chip repairs for life. Read more about our lifetime warranty here ➦.
If you are driving a newer car, the chances are your windshield is equipped with one or more ADAS safety feature. ADAS stands for Advanced Driver Assist System. An example of an ADAS feature is emergency braking, smart cruise control, lane departure assist etc.
Windshields with ADAS systems will require recalibration in order to restore factory setting. Depending on you car, there are two types of windshield calibration, static and dynamic.
Calibration must be performed after windshield installation in order to deem the vehicle safe to drive. Francis and Sons can perform windshield calibration in-shop or at your place.
If you are unsure of what ADAS features you have in your windshield, please give us a call or a video call to help you identify your vehicle safety features.
Phoenix Windshield Replacement Services
What To Expect From Francis & Sons Auto Glass ™
➠ No Hassles. No Gimmicks
➠ We Respect Your Time
➠ 25 Years in Business
➠ 3 Brick & Mortar Valley Locations
➠ Original OEM Glass
➠ AGRS Certified Installers
➠ SIKA Urethane Adhesive
➠ Lifetime Warranty
➠ Licensed & Insured
➠ Simple 1-2-3 Process
➠ 1 Day Service
➠ 2 hr Time-Window
➠ We Handle Your Claim
➠ FREE Mobile Service
➠ FREE Lifetime Repair
➠ 10% Off Window Tinting
➠ FREE 1 MONTH CAR WASH